Friday, December 27, 2013

The Eternal Interview

1. Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the release of the new album?

Well we have been touring in Australia, we did a national 10th Anniversary tour to celebrate 10 years as a band, we also recorded one of the shows for later release. We also did a national tour with Amorphis which was a great experience being a fan of the band.


2.How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and also how does it differ from past releases?


I think between our first album and now we have done a lot of experimentation with our sound, so before I started to write the new album I looked over our back catalogue and tried to look at the elements that encapsulated our sound. So I would say the new album has sort of rolled all the last 4 albums into one. I'm really happy with the result I think we have managed to really give our fans something that really sounds like THE ETERNAL.

3.Can you tell us a little bit more about the lyrical topics you have covered with the new release?

We for me its a very personal album, for the few years I was writing this album I went through a lot of difficult things. We had a very difficult time as a band after our last album UNDER A NEW SUN and felt quite disillusioned with the music business. Even though it was a strong album I think we were at a point where we just didn't know where to take it so it took a lot to pick it up again and focus. I also lost a few very important relationships to me and went through a hard stage of depression. I would safely say it was one of my lowest points and also one of my most self reflective, I had to really look at my self hard. The lyrics of this album really summarise this.

4.The band was originally known as Cryptal Darkness, what was the decision behind the name change and the switch from death metal to gothic metal?

Well I see that band is a different band, a different idea and different direction, just so happens a few of us came over The Eternal when it started. It was a fresh start for me personally and a fresh idea.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'The Eternal'?

We just wanted something big and grand, at the time The Eternal seemed like a good idea!


6.What are some of the best show that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?

Well I think we have a big sound are are rather intense live. I really enjoyed touring with Opeth, Anathema & Amorphis, We toured through America with Tarja which was great fun, I really enjoy the opening or going second on a bill, means you get a chance to relax and enjoy the rest of the evening.

7.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?

We are not sure what is happening next year, we would love to get back to europe and Japan in the next year or so, lets see!

8.The new album came out on Firebox Records, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

We have worked with firebox in some way since our career started back in 2004. The label (Firebox Records) doesn't really exist anymore but they (Firebox Store) are distributing it. J-P at Firebox Store has worked very hard with us for 10 years. He is a man that has done alot for underground music over the years!


9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to the newer material by fans of gothic metal?

I don't feel we are gothic metal, we don't sing about vampires and roses and shit like that haha It just emotive dark rock and metal. We are trying to connect on a more personal and deeper level. the response to the new album has ben fantastic really. Fans have taken t it really well and the reviews have been great!

10.What is going on with the other musical projects these days that the other band members are involved with?

Our drummer Marty is another Aussie band called Dreadnaught who are very popular here. I am working on my first solo album at the moment in my Kelsonic Studios here in Melbourne. Our guitarist Brad has a blues rock band called OVERLOAD. Our Bass played dave and Myself are also talking about doing a rock thing for some fun, so we all keep busy!

11.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

New year we have an E.P coming out to celebrate 10 years since we released our first album THE SOMBRE LIGHT OF ISOLATION, we have re-recorded 5 songs from the album. And later in the year a live album from our 10th Anniversary tour from a hometown show in Melbourne. I'm not going to rush into the next album yet. I would expect it will still be dark and emotive, but of course we always try and push the sound a bit further.

12.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I don't personally listen to much new music unless I'm engineering it for a client. I am very influenced but classic music and classic production techniques. I still love bands like Anathema and what they are doing these days. But I'm into loads of 70s stuff, when musicians had to actually play! Which is what I like about our new album, very minimal editing, we just played. People seem surprised these days when an artist can play live like it sounds on their album, I think thats the only way it should be!

13.Outside of music what are some of your interests?

Music and production is what I do, I'm a sound engineer, so when I'm not working on my own music I'm working on other peoples. On a personal level I'm very interested in Buddhism and study that when I get the time.

14.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Thank you for your time, we appreciate your interest and to your readers be sure to check out our new album WHEN THE CIRCLE OF LIGHT BEGINS TO FADE, available through firebox.fi

cheers!

Mark Kelson / The Eternal

No comments:

Post a Comment