Monday, March 11, 2013

Freedoms Reign Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
Freedoms Reign comes from Connecticut, USA. The band was formed after I recorded their 1st demo. While it wasn't my intent I began to dig the music they were creating and began to lay down some vocals and solos as their singer was nowhere to be found. Next thing I knew the demo was completed and made available as a local release. After a year of playing out and getting to know each other new music started flow. I became a primary writer and without conscience song began to take on an old school metal sound that drew upon my influences and style. The new CD harks back to the riffing and melodic textures created when I played on the 1st two Fates Warning CD's yet adding experience and significance of what I've learned along the way. Our goal was to create something special that represented our passion for old school metal

2. How would you describe your musical sound?
Our sound has many influences that can be heard throughout the CD. First of all because of my influence on the first two Fates Cd's there are moments you'll hear that sound and style of playing I still have. Fates was influenced alot by Classic metal bands such as Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep while growing up around upcoming bands such as Iron Maiden, Accept, Merciful Fate.. These influences are still there and come out in the music I write today along with music I've gotton into along the way such as Alice In Chains & Soundgarden. Generally all music is created beacuse of our individual influences and you will hear some of our music pay tribute to our past...

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
I find myself writing lyrics that make you think about your darkside a bit. It asks you questions that you may not think about such as the afterlife, pain in your current life or what you've never achieved and why. I don't sit down to tell a specific story. The mood of the song carries me word by word until it's finished. Sometimes I'm not even sure what I'm saying until it's complete. There is definatly a darkness to the words that speaks to you.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
Freedoms Reign represents the ability we all have to take charge of our lives despite those who try to take us down. It's a choice you make and we choose to celebrate our lives we create for ourselves.

5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
Freedoms Reign had the oportunity to open for ARCH/MATHEOS last May in Hartford, CT. There were over 600 people in attendance who saw us play and the reaction was fantastic. When your opening for such a great act as them it's easy to feel the audience won't care for much beyond the headlining act. We got on the stage and poured our heart and soul into our performance. Tom Phillips of "WHILE HEAVEN WEPT" was in attendance and has told me many times how the energy on stage turned him into a fan and our goal was to bring that energy into this new CD.

6. Do you have any touring plans for the future?
We are in the process of doing some New England dates (seperatly) with our good friends ARGUS and ATTACKER later this summer. We would love to so some short tours including going over to Europe but we will see how the CD does and it can be afforded. Theres nothing better than getting on a stage to new audiences and playing your music. The reaction and energy is what we do this for and if opportunities come our way we will be there.

7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of heavy metal?
Truthfully we have been geeing some great feedback from people all over the world. With the internet it's very easy for something to go global and with just some early press and selected song releases we are hearing from people in Germany, Poland, Italy, Denmark, Russia ect. It's really cool and it's been all good. I can't wait for them to hear the entire CD.

8. I know that one of the members was a founding member of Fates Warning but took almost a 30 year hiatus from music, what was going on during those days?
Well I left Fates when my first child was to be born. We decided I just wasn't going to be able to commit to their plans of touring recklessly without any thought of income which I needed to support my family. In hindsite it was the best decision I could have made as it allowed me to explore so many new places in music and nit feel tied down to the "Fates" sound. I wouldn't have been to into the music after Awaken The Guardian. Not to say it's no good, I love to listen to some of it but it's just not my style. I've been in/out of a few local bands always doing some different things but not until Freedoms Reign have I re-approached my metal roots. I think there was a period where I just wanted to do different things and not go back to something that once defined me. I have many influences outside of metal (The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Elton John, Trower ) which I wanted to explore. But returning to metal has been a great experience. It's in my blood and was just hibernating for all these years. I am so commited to it now and my passion it at an all time high to make some really cool music again.

9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
Thats hard to say as writing comes from where your influences are found at the moment. I tend to say it will be a bit heavier and darker as some of the riffs I've been coming up with lend themselves to what I've been listening to lately. I want the songs to reflect well on stage and create the passion of old Sabbath while continuing to aproach the writing in a more modern vein. I'm pretty excited about the next one already but right now just want to enjoy the journey that this Cd will take us.

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I'm a big Classic, Old School Metal fan who grew up listening endlessly to Black Sabbath, Deep Purple,Grand Funk Railroad,Jethro Tull, Uriah Heep, ect.. That music is still is my soul and apart of any new music I write. However there were so many other musical styles that weigh heavily although indirectly in my writing. The Beatles, Elton John, Hendrix, Pink Floyd were very influencial in my life and still find themselves apart of anything I do. Many of the 80's metal bands such as Iron Maiden, Metallica, Accept, were to a big influence as I was just getting into New metal but even those bands were all influenced by the masters !! Today I enjoy finding upcoming bands such as Argus, Slough Feg crating some interesting music who too have some of the same old school influences.

11. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
My daytime job is a Registered Nurse. I work with the elderly and am very passionate about their needs and care. It was the best thing I did when I got out of music to raise my children. I have a beautiful wife who I try to spend time with whenever I have any. Life is too short to spread yourself to thin and miss the great things around you. I tend to keep it simple and put what time and energy into the important things.

12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Thanks to everyone for your support and listening to our new music. We're very excited about this release and hope we can find away to get to Europe and do some great shows in the future. Also want to thank Tom Philips of "While Heaven Wept" for all his support and helping us get signed to Cruz Del Sur Music. We're looking forward to having our first proper release with Enrico of CDS and hope you all enjoy it..

No comments:

Post a Comment